What is a foster?
Our foster program is designed to allow members of the community to help us save more lives. Opportunities exist for you to foster pregnant or nursing mother cats and their kittens, older kittens, tiny bottle babies, shy or feral kittens that need to be socialized to humans, or even adult cats with special needs (e.g., diabetic, FeLV+, fearful, etc.). Foster families provide shelter for the cats/kittens, and SCSCR provides you with food, litter, and necessary medications.
Why should I foster?
There are many advantages to fostering homeless cats and kittens! Here are the top 5 reasons you should foster a cat, provided by our friends at Adopt-a-Pet.com:
1. Test the Waters. Fostering is an opportunity to “sample” different kinds of pets, and what it’s like to have one if you’re not yet ready to commit forever.
2. Entertainment. You’ll never be bored! There is always something to do with your foster from cuddling to playing.
3. Be Proud. Getting a homeless pet ready for adoption by giving your love, time, and friendship is such a rewarding feeling.
4. Community. Make new friends by fostering! It’s a great way to meet new people who care about animals.
5. Life Saved. Opening your heart and home is an important part of saving a life. Fostering a pet is one of the most direct ways you can help an animal.
p.s. Tax-Deductible. Fostering-related expenses may be tax-deductible! Ask your tax professional for advice.
How do I become a foster parent?
If you are interested in becoming a foster parent, please complete the application below, or stop in to our Adoption Center to pick up a printed copy. For questions, call us at 307-461-9555 or email email@example.com.